Funding for local disaster preparation - Puerto Rico Youth$2580.00 out of $6000.00 donated
Help support Jóvenes de Puerto Rico en Riesgo in delivering services to their community after Hurricane María. These funds will help cover these specific activities:
● They will offer services in the communities instead of expecting residents to move to San Juan to access services.
● Most of these schools were used as refugee centers for people who lost their homes. They will open their doors to all of them and become an extra resource for the mayor of those municipalities in supporting them to access FEMA services and governmental support.
● They will visit and access all 359 families they currently serve to determine the needs of each family and youth. They will offer psychological services to these families.
● They will create support groups at each school through their licensed staff to help residents cope with loss, learn resiliency and healthy recovery, deal with crises and help them manage the emotional effects of this event in an empowering way.
● They will recruit their Youth Leadership Program (Orden del Manicato) to help with cleanup efforts and be available for community support in rebuilding.
● As power and internet are restored to each center, they will be available for residents to have access to computer services.
● As schools start providing educational services again, the organization and its tutors will be available to serve the Department of Education as needed in the process of reintegrating the students and catching up with loss of instructional time.